Flex Search is an optimized search for Flex across all content both within Adobe, discussion lists, and the development community. The focus of development has been the search logic and content aggregation. The user interface (flex development) was limited to 30 minutes here. The current engine contains the collective history of Flexcoders, FlexComponents, Flex Developer Center articles, Flex documentation, AS3 documentation, and soon blogs from the flex community.
Flex Search Alpha 1 – http://www.flex.org/api/FlexSearch/Alpha1/
The Flex Search Alpha contains a base remoting API. The details of the API can be located within the source code of this application located here: http://www.flex.org/api/FlexSearch/Alpha1/srcview/index.html. This Search API and RemoteObject component in the source are configured to allow any domain search access. You can host Flex Search on your site and modify the UI as needed.
1. Search Flexcoders, FlexComponents, Flex Dev Center, Flex Documentation, AS3 Documentation and soon blog posts on flex.
2. Boolean Search syntax:
Cairngorm –> Search for Cairngorm
+Cairngorm -flexcoders –> Require ‘Cairngorm’, remove ‘flexcoders’
flash.net.* –> Wildcards supported
3. AMF Remoting API with server caching logic. Only unique requests hit the database as a search. 2nd request is cached. Also when the index is rebuilt, the URL’s can be replayed caching prior content.
4. Search reporting and metrics for tuning. All searches are stored.
1. User rating and Exit ratings in results.
2. Search limited to source or category > Just search FlexCoders or just discussion lists.
3. Blog aggregation – Simply add a link to this image to your page to get indexed!
4. Previews and Abstracts
5. Restful urls (bookmark and back button support).
The think that is key to understand is that only 30 minutes was spent on the user interface in flex. The interface is not a good example of Flex use and as I invest more in the UI, the evolution will become clear. This was also my first real ColdFusion application. The spider, parser, search engine are all running on ColdFusion with a MYSQL database.
I want the development of this project to be wide open in plain view. Ideally everyone can see the evolution of this application from the very beginning to the finished site. The evolution will explore how best implement search leveraging HTML/Flex/Coldfusion. Also if I were to release this as a more finished project, I think we would also miss out on an opportunity to tune this towards the community. Your feedback is important and will guide the development choices moving forward. It should be a great journey but this release is the first step of many.
Please post your feedback in the post comments.
Release early, Release often!