I am joining Sencha to build a world-class developer program but in a larger sense I am returning to the intersection of Applications and The Open Web. I wanted to share my thoughts on why I am returning to web technologies and highlight some industry trends that are rapidly driving change within the software industry.
I believe that we are witnessing a sea-change in the platforms upon which software is built and delivered. Long term, I believe all software will be built with web technologies across enterprise and consumer facing applications.
Here are a few trends driving this change:
1. Web Innovation – Browsers and the core fabric of web technologies are innovating rapidly again. CSS, JS, HTML are changing to enable running first class applications in the browser with no dependencies.
3. Computing Cost & Capability – The ecosystem surrounding ARM is lowering hardware costs while delivering exponential performance growth in mobile and will soon engulf desktop and server markets.
4. Touch – Sensors for touch both physical and virtual (Kinect) are enabling simpler UI across devices.
5. Native Capacity – Few companies have the team capacity to deliver native applications across multiple platforms successfully. I am seeing many developers leverage web technologies within native applications to simplify development and reuse existing content, servers, and services.
6. Utility Computing – Services are changing how software is created, sold, and deployed server-side.
7. Mobile – Everyone will have a browser in their pocket… Everyone!
Now while the trends and market opportunity seems crystal clear, the reality is there are actually very few companies actively delivering “professional grade” web technology solutions that “just work”. Sencha stood out for me for a few reasons:
1. Team – An exceptional team with world class leadership and focus.
2. Opportunity - The Intersection of Applications and The Open Web
3. Customers - Read the list, it speaks volumes.
4. Products - Professional engineering teams building high quality frameworks, tools, and services for developers.
I am very excited to join Sencha to build a world-class developer program and to return to investing in web technologies full time. Exciting times ahead!